Under this theme, the following publications encompass studies in curriculum design, blended enquiry-based learning, and supporting academic development.
- O’Neill, G., Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2014). Supporting Programme Teams to Develop Sequencing in Higher Education Curricula. International Journal of Academic Development, 19(4). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1360144X.2013.867266
Won the IJAD 2014 article of the year award
- M. O’Keeffe, M., & Donnelly, R. (2015). Embedding reflective practice and creativity to link a modularised curriculum. In P. Kneale & S. Brown (Eds.), Perspectives on Masters Level Teaching, Learning and Student Experience. London: Palgrave.
- Donnelly, R., & Harding, N. (2015). An exploration of the effects on programme design and development effected by educational leadership in reaction to societal and economic factors in Ireland. AISHE-J Special Edition. http://ojs.aishe.org/index.php/aishe-j/article/view/225
- Donnelly, R., Dallat, J., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2013). Supervising and Writing a good undergraduate dissertation. eBook Bentham Science Publishers. http://www.eurekaselect.com/113965/volume/1
- Barrett, T., & Donnelly, R. (2008). Encouraging Students’ Creativity in Higher Education. In B. Higgs & M. McCarthy (Eds.), Emerging Issues II: The Changing Roles and Identities of Teachers and Learners in Higher Education. NAIRTL.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2005). Designing Modules for Learning. In G. O’Neill, S. Moore & B. McMullin (Eds.), Emerging Issues in the Practice of University Learning and Teaching (pp. 99-110). Dublin: AISHE/HEA.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2005). Collaborative Project-based Learning and Problem-based Learning in Higher Education: A Consideration of Learner-focused Strategies. In G. O’Neill, S. Moore & B. McMullin (Eds.), Emerging Issues in the Practice of University Learning and Teaching (pp. 87-98). Dublin: AISHE/HEA.
- Donnelly, R. (2004). The Evolution and Fostering of Creativity within an Imaginative Curriculum in Higher Education. The Curriculum Journal, 15(2), 155-166.
Blended Enquiry-based Learning
- De Graaf, E., Donnelly, R., Hack, K., Dodd, L., Kolmos, A., & McKillop, A. (2014). Technology, Digital Learning and Sustainability – PBL in Changing Environments. PBL Symposium Panel, TCD, 29-30 May.
- Donnelly, R. (2013). The Role of the PBL Tutor within Blended Academic Development. Innovations in Education and Training International, Volume 3.
- Donnelly, R. (2010). Harmonizing Technology with Interaction in Blended Problem-based learning. Computers & Education, 54(2), 350-359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2009.08.012
- Donnelly, R. (2010). Interaction analysis in a ‘Learning by Doing’ Problem-based Professional Development Context. Computers and Education, 55(3).
- Donnelly, R. (2010). Embedding Interaction within a Blend of Learner Centric Pedagogy and Technology. World Journal of Educational Technology, 1(1).
- Portimojärvi, T., & Donnelly, R. (2010). A PBL response to the digital native dilemma. In Barrett & S. Moore (Eds.), New Approaches to Problem-based Learning: Revitalising Your Practice in Higher Education. Abington: Routledge.
- Donnelly, R. (2009). The nature of complex blends: Transformative problem-based learning and technology in Irish higher education. In Yukiko Inoue (Ed.), Cases on Online and Blended Learning Technologies in Higher Education: Concepts and Practices. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. http://www.igi-global.com/teaching-case/nature-complex-blends/38006
- Donnelly, R. (2009). Interaction and Transformation in Virtual Problem-based Learning Communities. CELDA Conference, Rome, November.
- Donnelly, R. (2008). Transformative Potential of Constructivist Blended Problem-based Learning in Higher Education. In C. Payne (Ed.), Information Technology and Constructivism in Higher Education: Progressive Learning Frameworks. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Donnelly, R., & Portimojärvi, T. (2008). Shifting Perceptions within Online Problem-based Learning. In P.L. Rogers, G.A. Berg, J. Boettcher, C. Howard, L. Justice & K. Schenk (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of Distance Learning. 2nd Edition. Hershey, PA: Idea Group Inc.
- Donnelly, R. (2008). Activity Systems within Blended Problem-based Learning in Academic Professional Development. International Journal of Applied Educational Studies, 3(1), 38-59.
- Donnelly, R. (2008). An Analysis of the Transformative Potential of Blended Problem-based Learning in Higher Education. EISTA 08 Conference, Orlando, June.
- Donnelly, R. (2008). Virtual Problem-based Learning Communities of Practice for Teachers and Teacher Educators: An Irish Higher Education Perspective. In C. Kimble & P. Hildreth (Eds.), Communities of Practice: Creating Learning Environments for Educators. Vol. 2. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, N.C: USA.
- Donnelly, R. (2007). Online Problem-based Learning Approach in Higher Education. In L. Tomei (Ed.), Online and Distance Learning: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Donnelly, R., & Portimojärvi, T. (2006). Muuntuvia näkemyksiä ja monimuotoisia toteutuksia. In Ongelmaperustaista oppimista verkossa (PBL-IT Text-book). Finland: Tampere University Press.
- Donnelly, R. (2006). Blended Problem-based Learning for Teacher Education: Lessons Learnt. Journal of Learning, Media and Technology, 31(2), 93-116.
- Donnelly, R. (2006). International Collaboration in Blended Problem-based Learning. ICL Conference, Austria, Sept 27-29.
- Donnelly, R. (2005). The Tutor’s Role in Propagating Blended Problem-based Learning in Higher Education: a Case Study Approach. Graduate Student Doctoral Research Conference, Queen’s University Belfast, Jan 31- Feb 1.
- Donnelly, R. (2005). Contemplating the Evolving Role of the Tutor in Blended Problem Based Learning in Higher Education. International PBL Conference, Lahti, Finland, June 9-11.
- Donnelly, R. (2004). The Effectiveness of Teaching ‘Online Learning’ in a Problem-based Learning Classroom Environment. In M. Savin-Baden & K. Wilkie (Eds.), Challenging Research into Problem-based learning (pp. 50-64). Buckingham: Open University Press.
- Donnelly, R. (2004). An Online Problem-Based Learning Approach in Higher Education. In C. Howard, J. V. Boettcher, L. Justice, K. Schenk, P.L. Rogers, & G. A. Berg (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of International Computer-Based Learning (pp.1-9). Hershey, PA: Idea Group Inc.
- Donnelly, R. (2004). Online Learning in Teacher Education: Enhanced with a Problem-based Learning Approach. AACEJ, 12(2), 236-247.
- Donnelly, R. (2004). Different Thinking Hats: The Continuously-Evolving Role of the Instructor in E-Problem Based Learning (E-PBL). ED-MEDIA World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, Switzerland, June 23-28.
- Donnelly, R. (2003). Using Problem-based Learning to Explore Qualitative Research. The European Educational Research Journal, 2(2), 309-321.
- Donnelly, R. (2003). An Online Dilemma: The Pull of Individuality Pitched Against Peer Collaboration in an Online Problem-based Learning Group. ED-MEDIA World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications, Hawaii, USA, June 23-28.
- Donnelly, R. (2002). Teaching Postgraduate Research Methods using a Novel Problem-based Learning Approach. ICED 4th World Conference, Perth, July 3-6.
- Harvey, J., Donnelly, R., & Lee, M. (2002). First Experiences with Online Learning using PBL – Problem Based or Problematic. First Annual SEDA and AISHE Conference, Dublin Castle, April 11-12.
- Donnelly, R. (2001). Combining an Online and Problem-based Approach: with Learning as the Common Denominator. WebCT’s 3rd Annual International Conference, Vancouver, June 23-27, http://booboo.webct.com/2001/papers/Donnelly.pdf
Supporting Academic Development
- Donnelly, R. (2015). Values Informing Professional Practice in Academic Professional Development. International Journal of Technology and Inclusive Education (IJTIE), Volume 4, Issue 1, June 2015. http://www.infonomics-society.org/IJTIE/Published%20papers.htm
- Donnelly, R., McAvinia, C., & McDonnell, C. (2015). An Evaluation of Formative Audio Feedback within Part Time Professional Development Programmes in DIT. Ed-Tech2015 Conference, 28th-29th May, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Donnelly, R. (2014). A Reflective Report on Values Informing Professional Practice in Educating the Educators. London International Conference on Education, London, 10-11 November.
- McAvinia, C., Donnelly, R., McDonnell, C., Hanratty, O., & Harvey, J. (2014). Does accredited professional development for academics improve teaching and learning in Higher Education? In M. Filipa, Y.P., Ribeiro, & B. Culum (Eds.), New Voices in Higher Education Research and Scholarship.
- Donnelly, R. (2014). Supporting lecturers in the Disciplines In the affective academic writing process. Journal of Academic Writing, 4(1), 26-39.http://e-learning.coventry.ac.uk/ojs/index.php/joaw/index.
- McAvinia, C., Harvey, J., Donnelly, R., McDonnell, C., & Hanratty, O. (2014). What has been the impact of accredited professional development for people teaching in higher education? UK HEA 10th Annual Conference, Aston University, Birmingham, UK, 2-3 July.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2013). Supporting Group Research Supervision at Postgraduate Level in Irish Higher Education. In O’Farrell & A. Farrell (Eds.), Emerging Issues III. http://www.edin.ie/emerging-issues-3.php
- Harvey, J., Donnelly, R., & McAvinia, C. (2013). Engaging lecturers as students: building sustainable professional development. 6th Annual Learning Innovation Conference: Sustainable Models of Student Engagement – Rhetoric or Achievable? Dublin, 17 October.
- Donnelly, R. (2013). Enabling Connections in Postgraduate Supervision for an Applied eLearning Professional Development Programme. International Journal of Academic Development. 18(4), 356-370 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1360144X.2013.784873
- Donnelly, R., & Crehan, M. (2012). Supporting lecturers in writing and publishing educational research. CELT Conference, NUI Galway, 6-7 June.
- Harding, N., Donnelly, R., O’Keeffe, M., & Russell, M. (2012). Action Research for Educators: Learning Innovation. Poster presentation at LIN Annual Research Conference, Dublin, 11 October.
- Donnelly, R., Russell, M., & Harding, N. (2012). Shared Ambitions Support Educators in Practitioner Action Research. Poster presentation at SRHE Annual Research Conference, Newport, UK, 14-15 December.
- Donnelly, R., & Crehan, M. (2011). The impact of generic teaching strategies from a professional development programme on discipline-specific Faculty. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2011). Crucial Connections: an exploration of critical thinking and scholarly writing. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Donnelly, R. & McAvinia, C. (2011). Academic Development Perspectives of Blended Learning. In Anastasiades, P.S. (Ed.), Blended Learning Environments for Adults: Evaluations and Frameworks. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Donnelly, R. & McSweeney, F. (2011). From humble beginnings: evolving mentoring within professional development for academic staff. Journal of Professional Development in Education, 37(2), 259-274.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2011). Towards Productive Reflective Practice in Microteaching. Innovations in Education and Training International, 48(3).
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2011). Crucial connections: an exploration of critical thinking and scholarly writing. International Conference on Thinking 2011, Queen’s University Belfast, 21-24 June.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2011). Supporting academic writing through the lens of critical thinking. EATAW, Belfast, 29-30 June.
- Donnelly, R. (2009). Supporting Teachers through a Combined Model of Philosophical, Collaborative and Experiential Learning. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- Manathunga, C., & Donnelly, R. (2008). Opening Online Academic Development Programmes to International Perspectives and Dialogue. In R. Donnelly & F. McSweeney (Eds.), Applied eLearning and eTeaching in Higher Education. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Donnelly, R. (2008). Lecturers’ Self-Perception of Change in their Teaching Approaches: Reflections on a Qualitative Study. Educational Research Journal, 50(3), 207-222.
- Donnelly, R., Harvey, J., & O’Rourke, K. (2008). Creating Constructive Criteria: Evaluating the Perceived Usefulness of ePortfolios to Support Different User Needs. ILTA 08, Dundalk IT, May.
- O’Farrell, C., Donnelly, R., & Igbrude, C. (2008). Fashioning Global Scholarship as an Emerging Context. ICED 08 Conference, Salt Lake City, June.
- Donnelly, R. (2007). Perceived Impact of Peer Observation of Teaching in Higher Education. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 19(2), 117-129.
- Donnelly, R., & O’Rourke, K. (2007). What now? Evaluating eLearning CPD Practice in Irish Third-Level Education. Journal of Further & Higher Education, 31(1), 31-40.
- Donnelly, R. (2007). Investigating Staff Perceptions of eLearning Development and Support for Students with Disabilities in Higher Education. Level 3 DIT’s Online Journal, http://level3.dit.ie
- Donnelly, R. (2006). Teaching Portfolios. Case Studies of Good Practice in the Assessment of Student Learning in Higher Education, Dublin: HEA.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2007). The Use of Teaching Portfolios for Academic Professional Development at Dublin Institute of Technology (pp.112-120). In Teaching Portfolio Practice in Ireland: A Handbook. Dublin: Centre for Academic Practice and Student Learning (CAPSL); Trinity College Dublin.
- Donnelly, R. (2006). The Tutor’s Role as Academic Developer in Blended Problem-based Learning in Higher Education. In M. Savin-Baden (Ed.), Problem-based learning online (pp.79-97). Buckingham: Open University Press.
- Donnelly, R., & O’Farrell, C. (2006). Constructivist eLearning for Staff Engaged in Continuous Professional Development. In J. O’Donoghue (Ed.), Technology Supported Learning and Teaching: A Staff Perspective (pp.146-159). Hershey, PA: Information Science Publishing.
- Donnelly, R. (2006). Exploring Lecturers’ Self Perception of Change in Teaching Practice. Teaching in Higher Education, 11(2), 203-217.
- Donnelly, R. (2006). A Critical Exploration of the Rhetoric of Equity Belied by Practice in Postgraduate Teacher Education. Level 3 DIT’s Online Journal, http://level3.dit.ie; http://arrow.dit.ie/ltcart/2
- Donnelly, R. (2006). Abstract: In Search of a Sustainable Model of Academic Development: Combining E-Learning and Problem-based Learning. AISHE Conference, NUI Maynooth, Ireland, August 31- Sept 1.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2005). Exploring the Relationship between Espoused Philosophies of Teaching and Practice. SRHE Conference, Edinburgh, December 13-15.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2004). What Lecturers Want: Supporting Academic Staff in the Scholarship of Learning and Teaching. AISHE Inaugural Conference, Trinity College Dublin, September 2-3.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2004). Creating Spaces for Voices: The Portfolio as a Framework to Support Inquiry into Third Level Learning and Teaching. Education-line Database, http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00003437.htm
- Fitzmaurice, M., & Donnelly, R. (2004). Changing practice: research on the impact of continuing professional development in Higher Education, 9th Annual SEDA Conference, Birmingham, November 16-17.
- Donnelly, R. (2003). Integrating the Use of Teaching Portfolios with Experiential Learning for Academic Development. Journal of Teacher Development, 7(2), 245-264.
- Donnelly, R. (2003). Researching and Acting: Exploring and Improving the Provision of Academic Support for Newly Appointed Staff in a Higher Education Institution in Ireland. Networks: Online Journal for Teacher Research,
- Donnelly, , & O’Brien, F. (2003). Towards the Promotion of Effective E-Learning Practice for Academic Staff Development in DIT. Level 3 DIT’s Online Journal, http://level3.dit.ie
- Donnelly, R., & O’Brien, F. (2003). Abstract: Pedagogy Before Technology: A Strategy for Academic Staff Development. EdTechUsers 3rd Annual Conference, Waterford IT.
- Donnelly, R., & Fitzmaurice, M. (2003). Abstract: Creating Spaces for Voices: The Portfolio as a Framework to Support Inquiry into Third Level Learning and Teaching. European Educational Research Association Conference. Hamburg, September 17-20.
- Donnelly, R. (2002). An Action Research Project to Explore Providing Improved Academic Support for Newly Appointed Staff in a Higher Education Institution in Ireland. Joint CARN/ERNNI Annual Conference, Derry, November 8-10; Graduate School of Education Newsletter, Queens University Belfast.
- Leitch, R., McNiff, J., Donnelly, R., MacCorraidh, S., & Nikolou-Walker, E. (2002). Initial Inquiries: Learning how to Improve Practice through a Doctoral Programme. Joint CARN/ERNNI Annual Conference, Derry, November 8-10.
Higher Education Policy
- Donnelly, R. (2004). Critical Evaluation of the Impact of Global Educational Reform: an Irish Perspective. International Journal of Educational Management, 18(6&7), 351-359.
Recent research cited:
Impact of teaching development programmes in higher education. by Professor David Parsons, Dr Inge Hill, Dr Jane Holland, Dick Willis. (UK: HEA), (pp. 13, 17, 19, 21)